Jaipur - Rajasthan, the glistening Pink City, was founded by and named after Sawai Jai Singh II. It beckons tourists with a magnificent display of its royal Rajput heritage in its imposing forts and impressive palaces.
A wonder shining on the hills of the Aravalli, Amber Fort is located at a distance of 11 km from Jaipur. The fort has earned a place in the list of the UNESCO World Heritage Sites of India.
One of the must visited places when you are in Rajasthan, the Amber Fort stands perched atop a cliff beside the Jaipur Delhi Highway. The architecture is a fine blend of the Mughal and Rajput schools of architecture, beautifully combining white marble and redstone. The beautiful Maota Lake lends the majestic structure a splendid view. The sturdy ramparts and the lovely palaces make Amber Fort one of the prime attractions of the state.
The Jaigarh Fort reflects the rich heritage and architecture of the Rajput era. The fort on the "Hill of Eagles" was built in 1726 by Sawai Jai Singh II and Mirza Raja Jai Singh.
The Jaigarh Fort, built by Maharaja Jai Singh II in the 18th Century, is a magnificent palace located on the "Cheel ka Teela" (Hill of the Eagle) promontory of the Aravallis in Jaipur, Rajasthan. Designed by an architect named Vidyadhar, the fort was built to depict the affluent culture of the city of Jaipur. Since the fort is located on an altitude, the entire city of Jaipur can be seen from the top. It mainly served as the residential building of the kings but later on, was also used as the artillery warehouse.
The complex of the City Palace built on the banks of the Pichola Lake is endowed with the charm of many exotic structures which will direct your attention towards the inner sections of the palace.
The City Palace is a palace complex, situated in the core of the Pink City Jaipur. The beautiful complex comprising numerous edifices, vast courtyards and attractive gardens, is a souvenir of the majestic history. The Chandra Mahal and Mubarak Mahal are some of the significant structures in the complex. To preserve the valuable items of the bygone era, many compartments of the palace have been converted into museums and art galleries. To witness the beauty of the palace, thousands of visitors from across the world visit the City Palace every year.
Similar to the shape of a crown, the Hawa Mahal was designed by Lal Chand Ustad. It was built by Maharaja Sawai Pratap Singh in 1799. From the front, the palace may seem massive, but it will be interesting for you to know the walls are less than a foot thick.
The regal Hawa Mahal is perhaps one of the oft visited tourist destinations of the lovely Pink City of Jaipur. Instituted by the famed maharaja Sawai Pratap Singh, circa 1799, the 'palace of the winds', is the repository of history and tradition of the colorful state of Rajasthan.
Nahargarh fort, standing tall amidst the Aravalli range, is the pride of the city of Jaipur. Along with Amber Fort and Jaigarh fort, Nahargarh acted as a defensive circle to guard the city of Jaipur. The fort was formerly built by Maharaja Sawai Jai Singh II in 1734, seven years after he built the city of Jaipur. The fort was primarily built as a summer retreat for the royal king. It was one of the first of the three forts built by the Maharaja. The fort is connected to Jaigarh Fort through a huge wall. In 1868, Nahargarh fort was extended by Maharaja Sawai Ram Singh. Later in 1880, Maharaja Sawai Madho Singh, gave the responsibility to Raj Imarat, who was responsible for undertaking royal construction projects for converting the fort into a monsoon retreat. He told them to design a palace inside the fort that would serve as a small getaway destination.
The Jantar Mantar in Jaipur is the largest and one of the best preserved of five observatories constructed by Maharaja Sawai Jai Singh all over northern India. For being a reputed astronomer, Jai Singh was commissioned by Emperor Muhammad Shah, to correct the astronomical tables and to confirm the data that was available on the planetary positions. He took nearly seven years to finish the Jantar Mantar. It was restored in 1901 and in 1948 the famous observatory was declared a national monument. The Jantar Mantar in the Pink City consists of multiple structures of stone masonry built in varied and large geometric forms that have caught the attention of artists, architects and art historiographers throughout the world.
This beautiful temple was erected by the mother of King Jagat Singh, Shringar Devi Kankawat and the construction took nine years to complete, from 1599 to 1608. The west-facing temple is dedicated to the Hindu gods Radha and Krishna, and the building consists of a gaduda chatri, marble torana, a vestibule, a square sactrum crowned with sikhara, a mandapa that lies on a decorated pitha followed by the jangha and vedibandha. The holy mandap has several pillars decorated with lateral transepts and a vaulted ceiling with religious paintings.
Jal Mahal, or the Water Palace, is situated at the centre of a lake called the Man Sagar Lake in the city of Jaipur, Rajasthan. It was built by Maharaja Pratap Singh and restored by Maharaja Jai Singh II in the 18th Century. Thousands of tourists visit this palace every year to enjoy the exquisite view and natural beauty. From the edge of the lake, one can hire the Rajput-style boats built by the boat makers of Vrindavan, and gently sail to the palace.
Albert Hall Museum or the Central Museum, sited amid the gardens of Ram Niwas Bagh in Jaipur, is one of the oldest museums in the state of Rajasthan. This museum was designed by Colonel Sir Swinton Jacob in 1876 for the purpose of greeting King Edward VII, Prince of Wales on his visit to India.
Shri Govind Dev Ji temple needs no introduction as it is one of the most famous and pious spiritual places to visit. The temple is a witness to the thousands of devotees coming from all over the world to see its magnificence and symbolism of Hindu mythology. It is considered to be the most sought-after temple, after the Vrindavan temple, for the followers of Shri Krishna. Legend says that once Maharaja Sawai Jai Singh II had a dream, where he was told by the Lord Krishna to place his idol in his palace to save the place from destruction by the Mughal Emperor Aurangzeb. Maharaja Sawai Jai Singh then brought the idol from Vrindavan to his palace Surya Mahal and then shifted it to Chandra Mahal.